- Weaning your baby off the bottle early can help them avoid developing dental problems.
- All children up to three years old, should use a smear of toothpaste with a fluoride level of no less than 1000ppm (parts per million). After three years old, they should use a toothpaste that contains 1350ppm -1500ppm.
- Parents should try and supervise your children’s tooth brushing until they are about 7 years old.
- Take your child to the dentist early, as soon as their teeth start to appear, this will help them get used to the sights, sounds and smells of a dental practice.
- Use a timer or brush a long to a song to ensure your children are brushing for the correct amount of time.
- Use a reward chart to track your children’s brushing habits and get them actively involved in brushing their teeth.
- Use disclosing tablets to show areas of your children’s mouth which may need better brushing.
Please visit the National Smile Month website here for more information.